It’s a great idea to have a paleo emergency kit at work – by keeping some items in your desk drawer, you will always have a fast healthy snack or lunch option at hand. Today we have some ideas of what to keep on hand to throw together a paleo desk drawer lunch. As always – make sure you check the ingredients when purchasing these items.
- Cans of tuna (go for the “in olive oil” or “natural” or “springwater” varieties)
- Tins of sardines
- Tins of smoked salmon
- Small jar or can of olives
- Beef jerky or salami sticks
- Bags of nuts – macadamia, cashews, almonds or pecans are great
- Trail mix of your favourite nuts and seeds
- Coconut flakes
- Nut butter – we love almond or cashew nut!
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Bliss balls (try making them yourself using our easy Bliss Ball recipe)
- Dried fruit (check for added sugar)
If you remember to bring some items in from home with you – we recommend:
- Vege sticks – carrots, celery, capsicum, cucumber
- Salad leaves
- Hard boiled eggs
- Cold meats – meatballs or burger patties are great for lunches
- Fresh fruit – apples and oranges keep well
- Seasonal veges that you can heat in the microwave
- Last night’s leftovers!
You may get some sideways looks from your colleagues (careful with some items like eggs and fish – they can be slightly “offensive” to close desk-mates!), but combining any of the items above will keep you full and happy. Plus, even if it’s not for lunch – any of the above items can be great for an emergency snack, or to throw in your handbag if you are heading out somewhere. We love emergency food stashes!
What do you keep in your desk drawer for lunch? Any extra recommendations?