If you’re having friends over for lunch, or just want to make something a bit special for yourself, you can’t go past a fragrant, healthy salad. Today we share with you one of two salads that we’ve tried and adored – both have distinctly different tastes, and are perfect either as accompaniments to main dishes or as the star of the show. Today we have a Chinese Chicken Salad and later this week we’ll share our Thai Prawn Salad.
It has been said that the dressing is what really makes the salad, and as far as this one is concerned I couldn’t agree more. Make sure you take the time to get the dressing right – don’t skimp on elements and double-check your measurements. It really does make the world of difference.
The dressing is so good you’ll want to use it again. My advice would be to double it and use the remainder over the next week – either on your next salad or as a chicken marinade. Trust me, it’s incredible.
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 head of a large Cabbage, chopped into very thin strips
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 2 Tbs white sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 rotisserie chicken, torn into shreds
- 1/4 cup Tamari
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs finely minced ginger
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbs Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 5 chopped green onions, green and white parts
- In a small mason jar with lid or a food processor add all the dressing ingredients. Secure the lid and shake vigorously. Set aside.
- Put chopped cabbage, shredded carrots, coriander, sesame seeds, cashews, shredded chicken, and enough dressing to coat (around half) into a large plastic bag, seal, and shake vigorously until well incorporated. Adjust amount of dressing as needed.