If you’ve got some time in the morning and you want to make something super delicious and a bit special, I highly recommend a Granola Açaí Bowl. Not only are they completely amazing, they taste like dessert and they’re packed full of essential nutrients. Win, win!
To make a Granola Açaí Bowl you essentially need acai powder, bananas, and berries – this forms the basis of the sorbet-like mix. You can then top your bowl with anything and everything you like – fresh fruit, chia seeds, coconut, nuts, honey – the list is endless! For this one, we used the Wilder and Hunt Coco Nut Crunch granola, blueberries, coconut, and chia seeds. Yum!
Açaí is an indigenous berry commonly found in the rain forests of the Amazon. This antioxidant-rich fruit has been heralded for centuries as a healing, immune-stimulating, energy-boosting fruit. Research has shown that this antioxidant-rich berry may be able to fight the health problems associated with oxidative damage, not to mention many other health benefits (source).
The berries are commonly reduced to a powder which can be bought at most health food shops (and some supermarkets! I got mine at Countdown) which can be added to smoothies, juices, etc. If you’ve never tried açaí before, here’s some reasons why you should always have a packet of it in your paleo staples:
- It improves your heart health by being packed with antioxidants and preventing blood clots, improving overall blood circulation, and relaxing the blood vessels.
- It aids in weight loss.
- It promotes skin health.
- It helps digestion. The berries are a well-known traditional source of dietary fibre.
- It improves cellular health.
- It’s an immune booster – packed with Vitamin C!
- It has anti-ageing effects. The berries are one of the planets highest sources of antioxidants, with one berry holding ten times the amount of antioxidants as grapes, and two times the amount of blueberries.
- It boosts energy.
- It improves mental function.
- 1/2 cup frozen berries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tbl almond butter
- 2 tbl acai powder
- 1/2 tbl honey
- desiccated coconut
- chia seeds
- fresh banana
- chopped almonds
- macadamia nuts
- cacao powder
- Put the acai mix ingredients in a high powered blender and blitz under smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into a bowl and top with toppings.